First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Johnny Cash

[postlink]https://dagendauwsnotenbalk.blogspot.com/2012/10/first-time-ever-i-saw-your-face-johnny.html[/postlink]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdSIlVZhsDwendofvid [starttext]


"First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"

The first time ever I saw your face, I thought the sun rose in your eyes.
And the moon and stars were the gifts you gave,
To the dark and the endless sky, my love.
And the first time ever I kissed your mouth,
I felt the earth move through my hands.
Like the trembling heart of a captive bird
That was there at my command.

And the first time ever I lay with you,
I felt your heart so close to mine.
And I know our joy would fill the earth,
And last till the end of time, my love.

The first time ever I saw your face.


"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is een folksong uit 1957 geschreven door Ewan MacColl voor Peggy Seeger, die later zijn vrouw zou worden. Op het ogenblik dat ze geliefden werden was MacColl nog getrouwd.

Het nummer kreeg pas populariteit toen het in 1965 werd uitgebracht door  Peter, Paul and Mary op het album: "See What Tomorrow Brings", en werd in 1972 nogmaals uitgebracht door Roberta Flack wiens versie bijna twee keer zo lang was als de originele. 

Het werd nadien nog door talloze artiesten gecovered onder meer door Joe & Eddie, Elvis Presley, George Michael, Marianne Faithfull, Kate Havnevik, the Kingston Trio, Harry Belafonte, June Tabor, the Chad Mitchell Trio-Mike Kobluk solo, Gordon Lightfoot, Vern Gosdin, Shirley Bassey, Steven Houghton, Bert Jansch, Maria Taylor, The Easy Club, Peter, Paul and Mary, We Five, The Chi-Lites, José Carreras, Michael Sweet, Jeffrey Gaines, Isaac Hayes, Nana Mouskouri, Bradley Joseph, Joanna Law, Richard Marx, Alison Moyet, Stereophonics & Jools Holland, Mel Tormé, Vanessa L. Williams, Mathilde Santing, Cindytalk, Amanda Palmer, Conner Reeves, Christy Moore, Vikki Carr, Brian Kennedy, David Cook, Journey South, Bobby Vinton, Kate Ceberano, Lauryn Hill, Leona Lewis, Gregorian, Wayne Newton, Engelbert Humperdinck, The Temptations, The Smothers Brothers, Johnny Mathis, Paul Potts, Jeffrey Osborne, Andy Williams, Bob Monkhouse, Petula Clark, Harry Connick, Jr., Aaron Neville, Marcia Griffiths (member of the I-Threes), Emily Barker & Matt Cardle 

... en Johnny Cash waarvan u hier de versie kon beluisteren.[endtext]




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten